South Fulton Community
South Fulton Communities
Located in the southern portion of Fulton County, Union City (UC) is an exuberating and rising City with a big heart. It is a place where your neighbors, educators, small business owners and elected officials care for their community and each other. Visit us and see the beautiful elements of nature that are illustrated by the Southern bloom of the dogwood trees, crepe myrtles and Bradford pears, which are sure to give all the comforts of home. This small intimate City has all the cultural, spiritual, educational and economic opportunities of a large metropolitan community, but the charm that can only be found in the growth and spirit that is Union City.
Formed in 1870 by a citizenry of 16 families, the name East Point was derived from being located at the opposite end of the former Atlanta & West Point Railroad from West Point, Georgia. The City of was charted in 1887 and is comprised of an ethnically diverse community. Between 2010 and 2014, the overall population grew 5.3%. With over 35,000 residents, and more than 17,000 households, it is the fifth largest city in Fulton county.
Conveniently located just five minutes from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, and 10 minutes from downtown Atlanta, East Point is home to the Camp Creek Marketplace, Camp Creek Business Center, South Meadow Business Park, and several Fortune 500 Companies. The city is primed for the future with its strong economic development team in tow, including an Economic Development Specialist and the East Point Main Street Association (EPMSA). EPMSA has been integral in helping develop the City’s crown jewel – the Historic Downtown District. The District was designed to create a central gathering place of pride and heritage, while strengthening the tax base, promoting tourism, and increasing public and private investments.
East Point is a quaint, and ethnically diverse urban and friendly community that offers the full amenities of in-town living. The City attracts everyone from young professionals to active adults, and boasts over 25 unique and affordable historic neighborhoods, including the beautiful Jefferson Park, known for its charming bungalows, cottages, and Cape Cod style homes. In addition, residents, businesses and visitors alike enjoy light traffic and easy access to the MARTA bus and rail transportation system, as well as the Historic Downtown District and Camp Creek Marketplace.
Today, Downtown Fairburn is a Commercial Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. The buildings located along West Broad Street between Smith and Dodd, and those adjacent to the Atlanta and West Point railroad, are all included in this district. The district includes approximately 20 different commercial buildings ant the two train depots. They are late 19th and early 20th century buildings, ranging from one to three stories in height. The building styles range from Neoclassical to Italianate, to simple utilitarian. The Campbell County Historical Society is located in the Old Campbell County Courthouse on West Broad Street. The Courthouse is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an institutional resource. The Old Campbell County Historical Society is an active well-organized, non-profit group that cares for the old courthouse and hosts scheduled tours and educational activities.
Over the past several years, the downtown area has undergone a revitalization process and the economy of the downtown is improving. Fairburn still retains its two train depots, both built in 1917 of red brick with tile roofs and wide, overhanging eaves. Rail service is no longer available in downtown Fairburn. The City has completed renovation of both the passenger and freight depots which are occupied by law offices and antiques shops, respectively. An award winning revitalization plan was prepared for the district in 1988 and is currently guiding implementation of improvements by the Downtown Development Authority.
Named one of Atlanta Magazine’s “Best Places To Call Home” in April 2003, the City of College Park has become one of the most exciting communities in the greater metropolitan Atlanta area in which to live. A well-established community with an individuality all its own, College Park, located near the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Interstates I-85 and I-285, the CSX Railroad and Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA), residents and visitors alike will find that this revitalized City offers the best of Southern hospitality in its city services, local restaurants, lodging accommodations, parks and recreation, and community events.
Palmetto is located 25 miles south of Atlanta on U.S. Highway 29 and on the Atlanta and West Point railroad. The railroad was completed from Atlanta to Palmetto in 1851 and extended to West Point, Georgia two or three years later. Palmetto is located on the highest point above sea level between Atlanta and New Orleans. the railroad is built on a water shed divide. All water falling east of the railroad flows into the Flint River and all water falling west of the railroad flows into the Chattahoochee River.
Chattahoochee Hills (formerly Chattahoochee Hill Country) is a city in southern Fulton County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 2,378 living in an area of just over 32,000 acres (130 km2). It is the incorporated part of a region called “Chattahoochee Hill Country”, an area encompassing approximately 60,000 acres (240 km2) southwest of Atlanta, bordered on the northwest side by the Chattahoochee River. Unlike the rest of metro Atlanta, it is still relatively undeveloped, and most of its rural character remains unchanged. The majority of the wider area comprises the west-southwest part of southern Fulton, and smaller adjacent parts of southern Douglas, eastern Carroll, and northern Coweta counties.
On January 8, 1821, the Creek Nation Indians ceded a large tract of land to the white man that included the present Hapeville area. In 1853 that land was incorporated into Fulton County.
Hapeville grew out of individual farm settlements owned by the Thrailkill, Cash, Mangum, Sims and Hape families. In 1871, Dr. Samuel Hape and other investors purchased 500 acres of wooded land on the Macon and Western Central Georgia Railroad, eight miles south of Atlanta. The Village of Hapeville was chartered on September 16, 1891 by Dr. Samuel Hape, Hapeville’s first Mayor. Dr. Hape was a native of Middlebury, Maryland who came to Atlanta prior to the Civil War.
The most significant impact on Hapeville’s future occurred when Asa G. Candler, Jr. allowed the center of his oval race track to be used as a landing field for aircraft. The City of Atlanta purchased this area in 1929 and founded its municipal airport, which eventually became the world’s busiest known as Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. Hapeville is also home to Delta Air Lines, Inc. Corporate Headquarters.
The December 1947 opening of the Ford Assembly Plant marked another major impact on Hapeville’s economy as did the 1960 opening of the Airport Hilton, linking Hapeville to the international chain of hotels.
City of South Fulton
After several tries at cityhood, the City of South Fulton was created in 2017.